As summer kicks off, it’s not too late to prepare your home to help you save money and energy during the hottest part of the year.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Schedule a Quick Home Energy Check-up: This free one-hour walk-through of your home with a certified efficiency professional provides a report that includes recommendations on how to reduce your energy usage. Schedule a Check-up here!
- Maintain your A/C system: Most summer energy expenses are directly related to cooling your home. Regular maintenance will keep your system running at peak efficiency. Schedule a free HVAC system tune-up here!
- Reduce hot water usage: Water heating accounts for about 18% of home energy consumption. Install faucet aerators and efficient flow showerheads and adjust your water heater to 120°F or the low setting.
- Manage your thermostat: Keep thermostats at a constant, comfortable level when at home. Raise the thermostat setting for days of extreme heat. Install a programmable thermostat to automatically adjust your home’s temperature settings when you’re away or sleeping.
- Close window shades and blinds: Block heat from sunlight which will keep your A/C from working harder.
- Conserve with lighting: Turn off unnecessary lights and use LEDs which use less energy.
- Reduce kitchen heat: Cook outdoors on a grill or use your microwave when possible.
- Keep the air moving: Run your ENERGY STAR® certified ceiling fan counterclockwise to produce downward airflow and a cooling effect.
- Use MyAccount online tools: Track your energy usage in near-real time, measure energy-saving practices, and set high-usage alerts.
- Take advantage of Energy Savings Days: Energy Savings Days occur when the demand for electricity is expected to be particularly high. You will be notified the day before to use less electricity between 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. and earn bill credits!
As temperatures rise, your energy use probably will, too. Take the edge off your first summer energy bill by implementing a few of these simple tips. Not sure where to start? Visit bge.com/waystosave or call us at 1-877-685-7377. Our experts can point you in the right direction to fall into savings this season.