You may have received an alert for an Energy Savings Day and knew it meant the chance to earn a bill credit. Here is a look at the extensive work that goes into activating a Demand Response event.
Every weekday from June through September a BGE team meets to see if there is enough electricity in the region to meet demand. This is vital during days of extreme heat when everyone’s air conditioning contributes to strain on the electric grid.
This group considers everything from the heat index to the number of customers who take part in Energy Savings programs when deciding whether to make the call to ask for customers to reduce their use for the benefit of the region.
Here’s a play-by-play of an Energy Savings Day.
- PJM: operates the electric grid between Newark (N.J.), Richmond (Va.), and Chicago (Ill.). They balance electric generation with loads – both in total and area by area.
- Demand Response Market Operations (DRMO): tracks PJM to anticipate when electricity generation may not meet demand. When they identify a potential shortfall, they schedule an Energy Savings Day with the goal of reducing loads.
- Behavioral Energy Efficiency (BEE): runs the BGE Smart Energy Rewards Program during Energy Savings Days, including monitoring all customer notifications.
- Demand Response Business (DRB): runs the direct load control program and PeakRewards during Energy Savings Days, which includes managing the PeakRewards call center to address customer issues.
- Customer Operations: responds to customer inquiries.
- Marketing and Communications: alert customers of upcoming Energy Savings Days.
7 a.m. — Demand Response Market Operations determines the weather alert status for the day.
– The weather alert status levels are high, moderate, warning, watch, or clear.
8:15 a.m. — The Behavioral Energy Efficiency (BEE) and Demand Response Business (DRB) teams lead a daily call to determine the potential for activating a Demand Response event.
– During an Energy Savings Day, the Smart Energy Rewards Program and the PeakRewards Program would both be activated. PeakRewards customers would have their air conditioning cycled at 50%.
– During a PJM Emergency event, the PeakRewards Program would be activated, and program customers would be activated at their preferred cycling level.
9 a.m. — If an event is called, BGE customers and crews are notified about preparing for the Energy Savings Day Event.
2-6 p.m. — Pre-event notifications are distributed via text, mobile app alert, email, and/or phone.
– The BGE business team is in contact with the Call Center throughout the entire process to assess the impact on call volume and address any customers concerns regarding the program and/or notifications.
8:15 a.m. — The BEE and the DRB teams lead the daily call to provide an update on the current Demand Response event.
– BGE employees across the company prepare to support the Demand Response event that will occur from 1 p.m.-7 p.m.
1 p.m.-7 p.m. — The Energy Savings Day begins.
– Customers have the opportunity to reduce their energy consumption and earn bill credits. Customers enrolled in PeakRewards are cycled at 50%.
– The DRB team checks in with the PeakRewards call center to monitor and address any program and/or cycling issues.
7 p.m.-9 p.m. — The Energy Savings Day ends at 7 p.m.
– The DRB team remains in place for two hours after the event to address any customer issues with air conditioners not returning to normal operation.
– The DRB team’s field staff is strategically placed across BGE’s territory to respond in person ASAP if a customer’s PeakRewards device cannot be accessed remotely.
Post Event Day
9 a.m. — The BEE team runs a report to determine kWh savings and the number of customers who participated in the Energy Savings Day event.
10 a.m.-4 p.m. — Customers receive post event notifications via text, email, and/or phone to learn what credit amounts they may have earned.
– The business team is in contact with the Call Center to understand and address any customers concerns regarding the program and/or notifications.
5 p.m. — The Demand Response event is completed.
Here’s a look at how much BGE customers saved during this summer’s events.