Electricity usage spikes on the hottest days. It’s an opportunity for BGE customers to take simple steps to conserve energy—and earn bill credits!
BGE schedules Energy Savings Days on the hottest days of the year to help ensure region-wide service reliability. Customers who have smart meters can earn bill credits by voluntarily using less electricity between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.
A few days later you’ll be notified about your savings. The average BGE customer who participates earns between $5—$8* in bill credits for each event.
Simple ways to use less energy
No action is too small:
- Raise your thermostat 3 or 4 degrees above the normal setting, if your health permits.
- Turn off window A/C units, if your health permits.
- Circulate air counter-clockwise with a ceiling fan.
- Use a power strip to easily turn off electronics.
- Use a microwave or outdoor grill instead of the stove or oven.
- Avoid using other heat-producing appliances (e.g., dishwashers and clothes dryers).
- Draw blinds and curtains in rooms that receive a lot of sunlight.
- Turn off unneeded lights.
- Charge devices early in the morning or late at night.
More energy saving tips are available on bge.com.
To stay comfortable on hot days. Drink plenty of water and spend time in your basement or other cool areas of your house. You could also consider going to a cool place, like a movie theater, mall, or pool.
* Your actual savings will vary.