Energizing Small Business Grants support businesses impacted by pandemic

$20,000 grants available for eligible businesses–part of BGE’s $15 million pledge to assist small businesses with pandemic recovery

Story Topics

Philanthropy Community

Small businesses located within BGE’s service area can now apply for a BGE Energizing Small Business Grant of $20,000. This grant program is a multi-year commitment expected to run through at least 2023.

Interested business owners can apply now at bge.helloalice.com. For technical assistance while completing the applications, business owners should contact alice@helloalice.com.

“Small businesses are the backbone of Maryland’s economy and are job creators, especially the historically underrepresented minority and women-owned businesses. These businesses deserve a boost to help their recovery from the pandemic’s far-reaching impacts,” said BGE’s senior vice president of Governmental and External Affairs, Rodney Oddoye.

Program details:

  • Applications are accepted online at helloalice.com.
  • Application periods:
    • Round one: Jan. 20 – March 3
    • Round two: May 5 – June 16
    • Round three: Sept. 1 – Oct. 13
  • Applicant eligibility:
    • For-profit business located within BGE’s service area
    • Existing BGE electric and/or gas customer with good payment history
    • In good standing with the State of Maryland
    • Must have between 2-25 employees (full-time, part-time, contractors)
    • Maximum annual gross revenue – $7 million
    • Demonstrated need of funding to support business and serve customers

Businesses can also take advantage of the Small Business Energy Solutions program. Through this program, small businesses and small nonprofit organizations can receive a complimentary on-site analysis of their energy use and easy-to-follow recommendations on ways to save. Participants can also redeem incentives that cover up to 70% of the cost of qualifying upgrades to lighting and refrigeration controls and pay the remaining 30% of the cost over 12 monthly payments through a no-interest BGE Small Business Energy Advance.

BGE’s comprehensive efforts to support Marylanders during the COVID-19 pandemic have included an additional $1.5 million contribution to the Fuel Fund of Maryland, $1 million in funding to county-administered business pandemic relief funds, and extending flexible payment arrangement plans to help qualifying customers to maintain their electric and gas service. The Energizing Small Business Grants program and all nonprofit contributions are made using shareholder dollars and are not reflected in customer bills.